Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Surgery

We were told to be at the hospital for 8:30 and that Lennard couldn't have anything to eat or drink from midnight on.  We visited with the kids quick before we left the hotel and then we were on our way.  He got admitted and then up to the 3rd floor we went... to wait.  Since Lennard was an add-on, they didn't have a room for him for quite a while.  Thankfully, the chairs in the waiting room were fairly comfortable!  They finally came to get him and go through the pre-op stuff, get his IV in, etc and then we waited some more.  He went in to surgery at about 1:00 and then the waiting game began.


Only this arm!
I hadn't eaten anything all day since I didn't want to eat in front of him and I didn't know when he would be taken in so I didn't want to go get something in case.  I was starving!  When they took him in to surgery, I went downstairs and got a sandwich and some orange juice and read my book for a while.  Then I went back up to the third floor and hung out.  They'd told me the surgery would be about 60-90 minutes long and then about an hour in recovery.  The South Campus is all brand new and they had a screen with color codes so that you could look for the patient's initials and the doctors name and be able to see where they were at - ready for OR, in OR, in recovery, etc.  I sat and watched and waited for hours.  He finally got back to his room about 5:00pm!  I was stressing out that they had run into complications or that they would have had to take the bone graft from his hip, but everything was fine.  He just took a long time to come out of the anesthetic.  Thankfully, Dr. White was able to do the bone graft from his radius so he didn't have to have the pain in his hip.  He said everything went really well and he was happy with the surgery.  He offered to discharge Lennard tonight, but he was still so out of it that Lennard asked if he could stay the night.

I finally left at about 7:00 after Lennard had eaten something and was settled for the night.  I went and booked myself back in to the hotel and crashed.  I didn't have dinner, I didn't call anyone, I was completely exhausted.  It definitely didn't help that I have a horrible cold and feel rotten.  Such a long day!

No comments:

Post a Comment